Nicola is an associate solicitor in the employment team and has over eight years’ experience as an employment lawyer.
Nicola’s experience includes strategic and day to day HR advice (for example, in relation to redundancy consultations, absence management, discrimination and disciplinary and grievance processes), advising on executive terminations and settlement agreements, drafting employment contracts, executive service agreements, consultancy agreements and staff handbooks.
Nicola also advises on the drafting and enforcement of post-termination restrictive covenants, employment tribunal claims, employment status issues, compliance with GDPR in the employment context, employment issues arising from the use of social media and the employment aspects of M&A transactions, including TUPE.
Examples of Nicola’s recent work include:
- Advising on the employment aspects of a share sale transaction, including carrying out due diligence, advising on appropriate indemnities and drafting service agreements and consultancy agreements in relation to the ongoing engagement of senior executives
- Advising UK media company in relation to the employment status of its freelancers
- Advising numerous employers in relation to the introduction of the GDPR and its impact in an employment context
- Advising a UK technology company in relation to an organisational restructure, including redundancy consultation requirements, selection processes and alternative employment
- Defending and settling an Employment Tribunal claim for sex discrimination and unfair dismissal following a TUPE transfer
- Advising employer on potential breach of restrictive covenants by ex-employees, preparing letters before action to ex-employees and new employer and successfully obtaining undertakings from the relevant parties
- Advising on the employment aspects of a business transfer, including due diligence and TUPE consultation process; and
- Advising employer on the medical assessment and management of disabled employee.
Nicola is a contributor to Emplaw Online, an online resource providing subscribers with expert ‘know-how’ on British Employment Law.
Nicola completed her training contract with Fladgate LLP, qualifying as a solicitor in their employment team in 2006. In 2008 she joined Kemp Little LLP in their employment team and undertook a broad range of contentious and non-contentious employment work, acting predominantly for corporate clients. Nicola joined Moorcrofts LLP in 2014 as a solicitor in the employment team.
Bachelor of Law (LLB) 2:1
University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (2000)
Legal Practice Course, Commendation
University of Northumbria (2001)
Masters Degree in Employment Law (LLM) Distinction
University of Northumbria (2016)
In her spare time Nicola is kept busy with her three young boys and spends her weekends going for long walks in the Chilterns, visiting National Trust playgrounds and acting as a taxi service. Nicola also enjoys walking holidays in the Lake District and less active holidays to Italy.